Health and Safety

Via del Aquedotto


GW partners with GeoBlue to provide university travelers with health and safety assistance as well as evacuation services. GeoBlue is a resource for:

  • Country-specific travel information
  • Security and medical risk ratings and assessments
  • Medical referrals
  • Vaccination requirements
  • Medicine Equivalents
  • Medical terminology and translation
  • Repatriation services

In addition to completing any pre-trip proposal and approval requirements , all faculty, staff, and accompanying students traveling for GW-sponsored or GW-funded work, study, or residence abroad must print and carry this emergency contact card during their travels. This card includes emergency contact information for both GW and GeoBlue.

GeoBlue Health Insurance

GW requires faculty, staff, and accompanying students to have sufficient health insurance coverage for the duration of their time abroad. Faculty and staff traveling abroad on university business are automatically covered by an umbrella GeoBlue insurance plan. To register and access important plan information, you must follow these steps:

  • Visit GeoBlue's travel registration website
  • Enter GW’s Group Access Code: QHG99999GWBT
  • Create a user profile by entering your name, email address, and password. Your password is user-generated, so please choose something that you are likely to remember in the future.
  • Once you are logged in, you will have access to various benefit information as well as online and mobile self-service tools. You can locate medical providers abroad, view country security profiles, and print your insurance ID card.
  • To print your insurance ID card, click the “Print ID Card” link on the GeoBlue Member Hub webpage. Be sure to carry this card with you while you travel.
  • For help with the faculty and staff insurance registration process:
    • Visit to view a member tutorial video; or
    • Contact GeoBlue:

For student requirements, please visit the Student Health and Safety page.

U.S. State Department Travel Advisories

Before traveling abroad, you should consult the U.S. Department of State's website to determine the whether your destination has a Travel Warning or Alert.

To subscribe for email notifications and alerts while abroad, please enroll in the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.

HTH Worldwide Risk Ratings

To access destination-specific risk ratings, you will need to create a HTH Worldwide mPassport account. Please use these instructions for assistance in creating an account.