Faculty & Staff Travel Guidelines

London Skyline

Traveling with Students | Traveling Solo | Health & Safety 

Traveling with Students

To comply with GW’s International Travel Approval Policy, faculty and staff traveling abroad with students for a GW-related purpose will need to complete requirements associated with one of the following two procedures:

Approval to lead a Short-Term Study Abroad Program under the sponsorship of the Office for Study Abroad

Please visit the Short-Term Study Abroad page located on the Office for Study Abroad’s website.

Approval to lead travel with students on trips not administered by the Office for Study Abroad

Compliance with GW policies requires that faculty and staff planning to travel with students internationally for any university-related business or event (e.g., competitions, conferences, course-related site visits) first secure agreement from their supervisors.  Final review and approval rest with the relevant dean or vice president, with further review required in cases of elevated risk.

Travel organizers and trip leaders who plan to travel with students internationally must follow a four-step travel approval process:

  • Discuss and gain conceptual agreement from your school (chair and dean) or supervisor (vice president) for the purpose of the international travel.
  • Complete and submit the International Travel with Students Proposal Form.
  • Obtain written (email) approval of your travel plans from the sponsoring dean or vice president. This step formalizes approval for the plans presented in step one and allows the Office of International Programs to confirm approval of the dean or appropriate vice president.
    • Approval can be electronically provided by copying and pasting your submitted International Travel with Students Proposal Form into an email and sending it to your dean or vice president. The dean/vice president approves in an email reply. Forward the complete email chain to the OIP’s International Operations Coordinator at oip@gwu.edu. Upon confirming documentation of your travel approval, the International Operations Coordinator will contact you to initiate any further approval or registration processes.
  • Ensure that participating students complete registration before departure.

Upon successful completion of these steps, you will receive an email confirming your compliance with GW's International Travel Policy.


Traveling Solo

If you are a faculty or staff member traveling abroad on GW business without students, you do not need formal travel approval, unless required by your office, school, or department. However, you are requested to:

  • Register for health insurance through GeoBlue, GW’s international health insurance provider. This coverage is provided free of charge to those faculty and staff members who are traveling abroad on university business; however, in order to access the GeoBlue resources such as claims forms, physician finders, risk ratings, customer service information, and more, all faculty and staff should create a one-time registration and update their location for all subsequent travel. This blanket coverage has a maximum coverage period of 180 days per trip outside of the US. Travelers should contact the GeoBlue customer service line directly to discuss insurance extensions. 
  • Print and carry this emergency contact card  
  • Register your travel with the U.S. Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, or an equivalent service, if available, through the embassy or consulate of your country of citizenship
  • Submit your travel in the GW Passport online travel registration database: 

Submit Solo Travel

Faculty & Staff Health and Safety

Information about GeoBlue and health insurance coverage for faculty and staff traveling abroad for GW-sponsored or funded activities.

U.S. State Department Travel Advisories

Before traveling abroad, you should consult the U.S. Department of State's website to determine the whether your destination has a Travel Warning or Alert.

To subscribe for email notifications and alerts while abroad, please enroll in the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.