- GW Home
- Our Location
- Admissions & Aid
- GW Experience
- Faculty & Staff
International Travel Approval Process
Students traveling abroad for a fellowship, internship, or independent research (e.g., capstone or thesis) outside of a GW Office for Study Abroad program must complete the International Travel Approval Process outlined below before leaving the United States:
Next, follow the instructions at the top of your International Travel Proposal Form to request approval from your Travel Approver. This will be your faculty advisor, program director, or department chair.
Last, GW’s International Operations Coordinator will contact you within three business days of your completing the steps above to confirm the status of your proposal. Please note that all high or extreme risk destinations will require an extra level of review and approval from GW’s Associate Provost for International Programs. The Office of International Programs will coordinate this review on your behalf. If approved, you will be directed to the online travel registration component of the process, where you will be required to:
- Register travel with your consulate of citizenship
- Confirm that you have sufficient international health insurance coverage
- Electronically sign GW’s Standard Risk and Release Form and, if applicable, High Risk and Release Form
- Note important GW and HTH Worldwide emergency contact information
- Confirm travel itinerary, including transportation arrangements, lodging plans, and in-country contact information
- Provide personal emergency contact details and passport information
By successfully completing this procedure before traveling abroad, you will be in compliance with GW's International Travel Approval Policy.
In administering the International Travel Approval Policy, the university's main concern is the safety and well-being of its students, faculty, and staff while abroad. GW reserves the right to withdraw its approval of your international travel at any time and for any reason.
Do you have a question about the International Travel Approval Process? If so, please contact the International Operations Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.